Thursday, October 30, 2008

Being ignorant is as American as Nascar.

The presidential election is drawing near. But how many Americans are informed enough to vote?

The numbers vary, but there is one thing for certain- not many Americans can answer the simplest to common knowledge questions, let alone show you where Louisiana is on a map of the US.



Now I know you say "don't generalize." I'm not saying every American is ignorant to facts. I'm just saying a vast majority are more likely to be able to tell you what happened on the latest episode of "The Hills," rather than what happened on the news.

Seriously, if one more person tells me that voting for the president is stupid because "the electoral college chooses the president," I'm going to high-five them in the face. Did I miss this day of high school?

Searching for "stupid Americans" on Google or Yahoo! gives way to hundreds and hundreds of sad truths about Americans and how the world views us.

My stomach churns as I read poll results. Only 25% of Americans asked can tell you more than one of the five freedoms stated in the First Amendment. That's really sad.
A lot of Americans think that Obama's religious affiliation is Muslim!

Appauling is the fact that more Americans can name all the characters on the Simpson's than can name the current Speaker of the House.

These are the same people that helped elect president George W. Bush twice. The worst president of all time. Now look at our country. Recession? Our ignorance to current world events and lack of general knowledge will be the demise of this great country.

McCain or Obama? The election is less than a week away. I am not saying that I'm not ignorant to some fact. But I can say that I give a damn. Most Americans just don't care that they don't know. I'm going to go out on a whim here and say- Most Americans are not informed enough to vote.


No comments: