Wednesday, October 29, 2008

15-20% tips, too much to ask for?

I am currently a waitress at an Italian restaurant in Michigan. I only work this "crappy" job because 1) the schedule makes it possible to finish school and 2) the money isn't always bad. As of late though (with the current economic situation) people have been terrible tippers, if they tip at all. I have never received a complaint about my service, but still only receive 10%. What gives?
I just recently read an article posted on Yahoo! about this very subject, what is an appropriate tip? The author of the article stated that 15-20% is what is expected. I agree. The reader replies told a much different story though. I couldn't believe the ignorant people commenting on this article. Most said they don't tip at all because "they shouldn't be expected to pay a waitress' wage." I was honestly stunned. People just don't appreciate the dining experience anymore.
I for one am constantly looking for ways to improve at my job to make YOUR dining experience more enjoyable. I attend wine tastings and I've tried all our food and beers on tap. I can and will give you an HONEST opinion when you ask about the things we offer in the restaurant. I ask the chef questions about the preparation of dishes and also forward your comments on to him (good or bad).
I have a tip for all the people out there that tip poorly or not at all- don't go out at all, because we(waitresses/bartenders) don't think you're worth it either.

No comments: